Like Me on Facebook

Monday, June 4, 2012

Open for Business... Zia Gallery in Downtown New Haven

I often shoot photographs in downtown New Haven, Missouri for MANY reasons that include the scenery and the peaceful setting. Where else can I have a client stand in the middle of the street to get the perfect shot in front of a movie marquee without fear of being struck by traffic?! While I enjoy shooting portraits, my heart is really into other subjects. It was while photographing a senior, Jackie Kleekamp, in the Fall of 2010 a couple noticed me at work. In between my shots, they introduced themselves and talked about how they were remodeling a building and planning to open an art gallery. Talk about a chance meeting that has been such a blessing in my life. My work is there today. Also, this is a sign of the new "life" that is coming back to downtown New Haven in the form of art. Fast forward from the Fall of 2010 to June 2012 and this is what I saw last Sunday. Many "open" signs along Main Street. You can watch glass blowers, find hand-crafted pottery, photographs, paintings, and many items to beautify the home and enrich the soul. Hungry? You can always grab a bite at "Somebody's." Just one street has a lot to offer. Of course, I am going to be a bit biased and ask my fans and readers to go to Zia Gallery to look at my work, but while you're there look at all the other stores and you can even venture beyond and do the little river walk they have in New Haven. It's so beautiful to walk by the Missouri River in this town. Anytime I am there, it's pure relaxation. If you enjoyed your visit, remember you can also have a keepsake because MK Designs has postcards and magnets for sale at Zia Gallery, too. Zia Gallery is at 115 Front Street in New Haven. They also have the upstairs offered as a Bed and Breakfast. You can reach them at 573-237-5770 or email them at ziagallery@yahoo.com - they are generally open Saturdays 11 to 5 and Sundays 12 to 4. Remember when you go see them plan on going up and down Front Street to see several other artist galleries (I really love watching the glass blowers at Astral Glass Studio!) and you can grab a bite at Somebody's, too! Two side notes: #1. don't expect great cell service in downtown New Haven, and that's ok! I find that when I am down there I am way less distracted by the technology that I have a love/hate relationship with at times! Also, you can really make a full weekend of it, too because there are two great wineries nearby: Bommarito and Robller. I am not a beer drinker, but there's also the 2nd Shift Brewing Company I have heard people rave about! All images and words by MK Designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment