Like Me on Facebook

Saturday, December 27, 2014

Push Yourself to Take the Photographs No One Else Can (or will) Take

As you guys know, this MK Designs photo gig is not my "meat and 'taters" in my "meal of life." I would call it more of my "dessert." 

Teaching is my main pursuit, but the art of Photography is interwoven into my career. The thing that captured my heart at a young age is something I now try to get other kids jazzed about!
First, it was teaching Photography via Photojournalism (Yearbook). Then, a few years ago, I hopped out of Photojournalism (note: I still teach Broadcast) and into the Photography courses at my high school. 

They are housed in the Art Department and I can say that move has not only enriched my life, but it has made me feel more whole. 
There's not a day I am not working on, with, or for the art of Photography. Yes, it is for my students and their advancement, but I get so much joy from the experience when I have students who grow and step up to the challenges Photography presents us.  

I  face the task of teaching kids how to see and view the world creatively. That's hard.
We don't use Photoshop. We pretty much learn how to use the camera, maybe a touch of iPhoto, and/or some free online editors... but the key is to do as much as possible in camera and not rely on processing. (note: If they want to learn Photoshop, we have tech classes for that program. I am not anti Photoshop, I am PRO learning your camera and training your eye!)

Often to end the semester for Photo II, as a part of their final exam, I have students use objects I provide to quickly (and creatively) photograph and maybe lightly edit them on iPhoto or another basic platform. 

This time around...APPLES! 


I can't thank my neighbor across the hall, Juli of Olive and Ash Studio, enough for her apple donation!
I was impressed by the range of images I saw. Housed in this blog entry are my faves from the experiment.

I feel an assignment like this teaches us all to practice this lesson left to us by William Allard: “You’ve got to push yourself harder. You’ve got to start looking for pictures nobody else could take. You’ve got to take the tools you have and probe deeper."


None of these images are mine, they are my students' images and they gave me permission to post them here - please do not copy or use without permission. 

If you'd like to see a similar blog post with an assignment like the "apple" challenge... here's the link: http://mkdesignsphoto.blogspot.com/2014/06/learning-how-to-see.html

Thank you for stopping by. This could very well be my last blog post for 2014... or not? Maybe I'll find the time to get one last one in for the year before it is 2015. Since more of you guys are reading, I just might have to! 

Until next time,
M of MK Designs



No comments:

Post a Comment