Like Me on Facebook

Sunday, January 11, 2015

...Magnolia State of Mind (Part Three), also known as "Take The Long Way Home"

At this point in the "Magnolia State of Mind" blog trifecta, I must share my personal travel mantra: Take the Long Way Home. (Hum the Supertramp song if you want!)
I get so annoyed by how many people miss out on what our country has to offer because of the manic "drive like a bat out of hell" from Point A to Point B mindset. What's the point in that? Schedule it to where you can take your time and check out some of the places, attractions, and people along the way to and from a destination. 

Case in point:

So, we pack to leave Gulfport. We clean up the vacation rental home, follow the directions, and check out. Instead of hitting the interstate and nearly killing ourselves on a mission to arrive in Missouri by midnight...we drive a bit to see more of the coast heading east towards Buloxi, MS. 

After we had a few more moments near the coast, that's when we make our way north to our hotel for the night in Arkansas. (Yes, you can break up a drive, please do!) 

Because I wasn't in a crazy hurry, mom and I were able to see things...

Did you know this? Just outside of Buloxi is a Lickskillet Road. I still wonder, was the skillet hot when they licked it? Is that why it was so "name-a-road-worthy" of an experience?
Heading north, we took the time to stretch our legs at rest stops and check out the "brown signs." One brown sign along our route had caught my eye many times. "Little Red Schoolhouse" is what it said, so this time we found out what it was.
I not only enjoyed stretching my legs here, but learning that this place wasn't just a "Little Red Schoolhouse" - it is the birthplace of the Order of the Eastern Star. Learn more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Morris_(Freemason

On the second day of our "Long Way Home" I said, "I don't think I have ever been to New Madrid, Missouri." So, we went. Just off I-55 is this awesomely cute historic and interesting town. 
Granted, it sits right on a fault that could cause massive death and destruction, but I still enjoyed New Madrid. (Sorry about that dose of reality with the mention of the fault line!) The riverwalk area was so beautiful. There is so much history here. I know in the future I want to go back to really explore this area more. 
While I wasn't thrilled to get back to the Missouri temps, I am happy that on the way home we took the time to do some scouting reports. 
#1. New Madrid is on my list to return to in the spring or summer. Many spots to tour and explore.

#2. I know the next time I pass by the brown sign in MS for the "Little Red Schoolhouse" and it is a Tues-Sat, I am pulling over for a tour. 

Maybe we all need a "Magnolia State of Mind." I've noticed in the south people kinda tend to take their time. Often there's a slower pace. We can apply that to our travels. 

Mainly, don't just FLY via your vehicle at a high rate of speed towards your destinations. If possible, take your time to explore and learn more about your country and about your world.

Until next time... Happy Trails and Happy Creating, 

Michelle from MK Designs
Jan 2015 (but the trip was in Dec 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment