Like Me on Facebook

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

The Last Child in the Woods? I hope not.

My childhood was filled with hours (especially during the summer months) of time outdoors. "Unstructured play" is what it is called now. 
After we moved to South Central Missouri, I'd explore the abandoned railroad tracks (and RR tunnel) in Eugene, venture through the small creeks, and sometimes dare to leave "town" to walk up a gravel hill to see what was on the other side. 
I am fully aware that the "world" we live in has changed. Yet, I don't want my daughter to have a childhood that is only indoors and only on a schedule. 
Summer is our chance to get out and explore together. In June we hit the Shawnee National Forest and Giant City State Park, as well as other cool places in Southern Illinois. 

It was fitting that our devotional reading during the time of our 3 day/2 night camping and exploring adventure encouraged us to get outside. 

I firmly believe in what is stated here: “Time in nature is not leisure time; it's an essential investment in our children's health (and also, by the way, in our own).”  ― Richard LouvLast Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder
If you haven't read "Last Child in the Woods" - do so. It totally helps us "rethink" the current state of society and how we are raising children. I have noticed that just a few hours out in nature often calms me (as well as my kiddo) from the "stresses" of the hustle and bustle of "life" in 2015. 
Where else can you let hours float by as you seek the perfect four leaf clover? I am hopeful there is NOT an app for that, yet. 

Even though we are not a totally "electronic-free" family, when I see other families, I feel like we are well BELOW average when it come to screen time... which is sad because I fear we spend way too much time looking at glowing devices instead of the glowing moon. 
Which, by the way, sleeping under a glowing moon while in a tent, is pretty sweet. I hightly recommend it! That's what we got to do for 2 nights at Little Grassy Lake. http://www.littlegrassylakecampground.com
Get yourself and your child(ren) out in the woods, be it state parks or national lands. If you're close enough to Southern Illinois, try out various places in the Shawnee National Forest. It' a gem! 


The views in the Shawnee, as well as the tricky ways to get around at times, are inspiring. Be open to unplugging to enjoy it, too! Sure, click a few pics, but don't be like some of the kids I saw at the top of Garden of the Gods staring at their phones. (Not to take photos of the land before them, I'd like to add!)

Giant City State Park is amazing, too. The geologic formations are pretty stellar. It's just south of Carbondale, IL and very easy to get to. 

While you're at it, don't be afraid to take back roads. You may find some amazing fruit stand with ice cream that you had no idea existed! 
All in all, I think the biggest thing I want to stress (beyond loving our parks and lands, and beyond photography) is a BIG question: Why are we raising our children in such a radically different manner than we were raised? 

Also...

Since when did any outdoor time require a schedule or structure? 

Since when do parents say, "Stay inside and stare at this glowing screen until your neck hurts" --- Ok, maybe we don't say that with our words, but we do by our actions. 

When I read statistics that show that our nation's children are depressed, anxious, and totally out of tune with the world they are in...and much of that is due to a lack of unstructured time to explore the outdoors...it's heartbreaking to me. 
Unplug yourself and the kids. Kick them off the couch straight into the natural world. Make some great memories. Go with them and take time to smell the flowers, too. It's a win-win for all parties involved. 

For more information:

Health Benefits of Children in Nature - National Wildlife Federation: http://www.nwf.org/What-We-Do/Kids-and-Nature/Why-Get-Kids-Outside/Health-Benefits.aspx

Shawnee National Forest: http://www.fs.usda.gov/shawnee

Giant City State Park: http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/Parks/Pages/GiantCity.aspx

Flamm Orchards: http://flammorchards.com

For information on how to contact MK Designs to order any prints and/or book a photo session: http://mkdesignsphoto.weebly.com

Summer 2015 

2 comments:

  1. This is a great post! I'm glad electronic games and cell phones were not a big thing when my kids were little. Karlene reminds me so much of Chelsi when she was little- it's crazy😃

    ReplyDelete