Like Me on Facebook

Friday, December 27, 2013

Photos are EVERYWHERE

It's truth: PHOTOS ARE EVERYWHERE.
To prove it at my "day job" (yes, I am a photography teacher) I often drag my students around school and ask them to take "photo walks" with me.
The classes that "get in the zone" and can be trusted, are the ones that I take my camera along, too... so I can click off a few rounds! 
If anything, it's more than to practice and fine tune MY skills, but to drive home a point: PHOTOS ARE EVERYWHERE.
When I show some of my classes the collection of shots I have gotten around Washington High School, they are often suprised... it often gets their eyes looking more closely at the things they walk past daily and NEVER see.
After all, doesn't a camera teach us to see without a camera? Yes, it does... and if you don't know what I mean by that, I will be glad to explain because my day job is full of explanations - AKA teaching :)  
All images and words by MK Designs Photography / Fine Art and Portrait. Do not use without permission. 

Please browse over and click "like" on facebook and check out my website.

Dec 2013. 












12 comments:

  1. The new year is going to be the year of "intentional photo taking" for me. Lately I have been satisfied with snapping a picture with my Iphone. Not a lot of concentration, just a spur of the moment kind of shot. I resolve to: (1) get a better camera - hopefully I will find a willing soul who will be happy to part with an older model; (2) take the time to center myself and put my whole being into the subject before I take the picture; and (3) do something with the pictures I take other than post them on Facebook. Enter a few contests, create a book of my pictures, use them in other art medias. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gail, thank you so much for the kind words. I really appreciate it. :-) I love photography even though there are times (like now) my camera is full of photos and so is parts of my computer (ha!) I need to sort through...it's hard to keep up with processing, sorting all I see and take, but it's so worth it. I think a camera does indeed help us learn to see the world - without a camera! lol ;-) Happy Clicking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always thought there are prime subjects to capture everywhere. I lack the ability though as I drive myself to work, and so, rarely have the time to stop and find the best angle. I have settled for snapping a few shots over my shoulder on occasion. NOT SAFE! So I have resolved to leave a few minutes earlier each day to (hopefully) get some better shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. photos are everywhere, not just on the drives to/from work...sometimes to feel less rushed... I just wait for a peaceful time and even drag along my daughter to just do a little walk through a park, around town, or just drive a bit with cameras in hand to see what we can find... it's a great time for us to bond a bit and to also hunt some great shots. Be safe though with those quick shots over the shoulder!

      Delete
    2. I guess I just need to find the time to break away. I have 2 boys that keep me pretty busy with all of their activities :) I like the idea of going for a walk, but sometimes having them along doesn't help – their energy levels aren't as conducive to taking photos as I might hope. Definitely need to figure out a way to build in more time for this hobby!

      Delete
    3. I like to give my daughter an inexpensive camera and have her take photos too! It's fun. I started having her take photos with me when she was about 5 and now she's 8. She's not as "into it" as she was before, it kinda comes and goes in waves, but now she's a bit programmed to know if I want to take photos on a nature walk, she can take photos too or just enjoy the scenery. :-) LOL

      Delete
  4. You have such a keen eye! I'm working on recognizing the mundane and imagining the potential

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your work never ceases to amaze me!! Keep up the good work! Cindy Moritz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry it took me so long- I must have missed this one! I love turning everyday, often overlooked objects into art. It really does make you start REALLY looking :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so wish I could take pics like this. Pretty amazing pictures of simple things

    ReplyDelete