Like Me on Facebook

Sunday, October 23, 2016

October Update: "There is something in October sets the gypsy blood astir." ~William Bliss

My "mantra" for 2016 is this: 

"I want to become a woman who overcomes obstacles by tackling them in faith instead of tiptoeing around them in fear."

Since May, I have had many moments of "fear." 

I have fears about my health, my career, finances, and more. However, at the end of the day, I am trying my hardest to meet them with faith and the belief that they will only strengthen me; not leave me defeated or broken. 
When I originally decided to focus on facing obstacles in faith, I didn't even think of adding health, finances, or my aging cats to that list. 

Yet, I am still sticking with the original list and plugging right along... 

Cooking. I have been cooking a lot more in 2016 and using my grill more often. I can grill a skirt steak that is out of this world and Karlene says I am mastering "oven-fried taters." Yes, we say "taters" in this house! I have also gotten better at preparing scallops and other foods that I typically only trust a "professional" to cook!
Watching. My latest veg out on the couch guilty pleasure is "Lakefront Bargain Hunt." I am impressed by not only the beauty of the homes, but by the fact they are more expensive than the one I live in. These are on the "bargain" list?!

A movie that I watched a few weeks ago that moved me deeply is "Unconditional." You can find it on Netflix. It is based on a true story and has a powerful message. Check it out! 
Reading. I cannot get over how many books I have read so far this year! If you visit this LINK, you'll learn more about some of them, as well as my mission to read more in 2016. 

Below are photos of all the books I have checked out since I have last updated this blog. 

NOTE: Two of them, Libby & Dying Out Loud, were highly recommended by my Grandma. 9 out of 10 times when she recommends a book, I end up loving it!



Finishing. Karlene and I figured that it was time to get back to work on our stepping stone project and we tackled that with beautiful results. We were able to add three more stepping stones to our outdoor collection. 
I also finally finished the mosaic I started YEARS ago. It's all Soulard Mardi Gras beads. It's only fitting that the final product was juried into a show at Soulard Art Gallery this past month! Below, you can see details of it in the lower right hand area of the photo collage. It's 16X20 and available for sale. Contact me if you are interested. 
Uplifting. I have received a lot of positive feedback about the Journalism Summit that I was able to help bring to Franklin County. Learn more HERE. I felt incredibly blessed to be a blessing to others that day. 

On another note, I love the bracelet I wore that day. My friend Jen is a KEEP designer and I love their jewelry with an uplifting message! 
Karlene and I also just finished our two Operation Christmas Child boxes. Additionally, we are both excited that our Compassion International Child, Beatrice, has been sending us letters! It's amazing to learn more about her life and how God is working in her life. 

Expanding. I have to admit that in this area, I am drowning in learning about women's health issues and how to deal with insurance companies. I am going to leave it at that. It wasn't on my list of new things to learn about, but "it is what it is" indeed! 

Last but not least, I want to brag about my child. 

She recently won First Place (again) in the annual Fire Safety Week poster contest in Washington, Missouri. 

Her poster goes on to the state contest this spring. 


If you can...  I want to toss this out there as a challenge for you today and every day.

Until next time,  
M of MK Designs 
October 2016


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing! Always love reading about your thoughts and activities. Congrats to Karlene for winning the poster contest AGAIN! And, congrats to you for being juried into the art show! You have a full life! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete