Like Me on Facebook

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Southern Illinois Bound (Part Two)

After getting completely soaked (by sweat!) at Jackson Falls, it was time to go even more "east" in the Shawnee National Forest to "Garden of the Gods" - upon arrival I was impressed that a sign said that the 1/4 trail would take about 45 minutes. Once I was on it, I understood why...
High cliffs with amazing rock formations await and while there are a few times the hike gets a little tricky - it's so easy to spend some of that estimated 45 minutes absorbed in the scenery...

Much like Elephant Rocks in Southern Missouri, there are many areas with carvings of names from many, many years ago...

The views of the expanse of forest land in the Shawnee is just impressive. It's a great feeling to know we still have these places protected from developers...

And, beyond this being just an amazing rock formation - quick photographic tip - I didn't use a fancy filter here, I just put my sunglasses over the camera lens. The sunglasses have a polarizer and an amber tint to them that I enjoy in photographs!

After leaving that area of the Shawnee, it was back West to my campsite and this is what awaited me when I arrived... the peacefulness of the Shawnee National Forest. This would be my last night (the heat drove me off quicker than I'd hoped) there this time... but not until I spent the next day exploring Giant City State Park nestled in the Shawnee near Carbondale... which will be in the next blog entry!

All Photographs and words by Michelle of MK Designs. See my site here: http://mkdesignsphoto.weebly.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment