Like Me on Facebook

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (?)



Blessed are the forgetful: for
they get the better even of their blunders.
Friedrich Nietzsche



I found myself wanting to watch Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind for the past few weeks, so thanks to my new Netflix situation, there it was.

Beautiful film.

Truth be told, I have been on a mission of deletion.  Photos, notes, texts, phone numbers, etc.

... but if you've seen the movie. It doesn't work. We all end up being who we are supposed to be and without those "experiences" we certainly wouldn't be the person God intends us to be.

The concept of erasing a memory that brings us pain may sound like a good thing, but in the end - it just doesn't work like that.

If I "erased" Person A from my memory banks, I wouldn't remember this road, this day, this moment from Fall 2012.
Lesterville, Mo - a road in October I took to meet someone I was so
excited to see and have back in my life (again) at the time. 
If Person B was zapped from all my memories I would never remember this place, this moment, this fog by the sea on lighthouse path...
A path to a lighthouse in Oregon, walking with someone who if I had
never known I wouldn't have my beautiful daughter.

If I erased Person C, how would I remember this sunset and this place?
Watch your step, this is a hot lake in Fly Geyser
 located in a very remote part of Nevada. 

A Spotless Mind may sound beautiful, and ignorance may indeed be bliss - - but in 98% of our cases, not so much.

Letting go and moving forward isn't easy, especially when it's not with the people you once felt so sure of, but it can be done. It can be done.

I think I want to watch that movie again though. It's a good lesson for us all.

All words and images (minus the one from the movie!) by the M of MK Designs. Do not copy or reproduce without permission. Website: http://mkdesignsphoto.weebly.com

7 comments:

  1. I watched that movie quite a few years ago and can't really remember much about it other than I probably needed to watch it several times in order to "get it". So, I'll have to do that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's on my Netflix - come watch it with me! :)

      Delete
  2. Those photos are beautiful! i really want to go on trips ... anywhere really ... where I can get views like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well one of them is in Missouri :) I love Southern Mo just an hour / hour and a half away! :)

      Delete
  3. Susan Gay: I've never seen the movie.

    ReplyDelete