Like Me on Facebook

Saturday, September 17, 2016

What is Wealth?

First year of college. To this day, I am thankful my mom made this financially possible.
In 42 1/2 years I have ran the full range of financial situations. 
I have...
  • gone from having close to three figures in a bank account to being wiped out with the snap of my fingers. 
  • lived paycheck to paycheck.
  • had savings for rainy days that never seemed to end. 
  • managed to live credit card debt free until I went a little "spend happy" on home improvements and quickly learned how challenging that can be to actually pay off. 
  • known to never EVER touch my retirement fund. Yes, I have a retirement fund.
  • paid with cash to save money. 
  • bartered services to save money.
  • been jealous of those who have more.
  • felt ashamed for taking for granted how well I live.
  • been told, "we can't afford that" and hated it.
  • have said, "we can't afford that" and understood why self-control matters.
However, I have never been poor.
Felt very "rich" on this trip to Illinois!
I've been accused of being poor by a man who claimed to love me. Perhaps for a time I even believed it. Yet, I recognize now how much of a lie that really is. 

I'd rather keep my childhood spent in a two bedroom mobile home in the woods without fancy dinners and the latest gadgets, than trade it for one in a stick-built house in a subdivision. 
Visiting Paddy Creek in 2012. One of the places my parents took me as a child. Free and fun!
Why? 

Love. 
Family. 
Connection to nature. 
Connection to self. 
Appreciation for the little things. 
My daughter and I love our free and fun creeks, too!
What makes a person "rich" in America? I think so many of us have the wrong answer. It's not the square footage of your house, it's the joy you find in living. It's not having the latest iPhone, it's having someone on the other end you actually want to speak to...or better yet, WANTS TO SPEAK TO YOU!
Hiking with my mom at a state park. 
If you have clean water, a warm bed, food on your plate, and people who love you... 

...you are rich beyond measure. 

You are far from poor. You are rich in my eyes. 

Until next time, 
M of MK Designs



2 comments:

  1. Love this! And I love Karlene's haircut in that pic with you 😉 I'm a sucker for a cute little bob on a little girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's letting it get REALLY long again, I have told her it looks good either way... not sure if she's wanting to do a hair donation or what right now!

      Delete