Like Me on Facebook

Monday, April 9, 2012

What IS a Camera?

So, what is a camera?

Simply put, it's a device that records light.

Seems simple enough, but a camera is also a powerful tool in that it helps us remember...

the people... (like my friend Leslie and our many chats sitting outside on a hilltop)


the places...(like this spot I discovered while cruising down 395 in Northern California... the open road and the windows down and no one around that I knew... being a stranger in a strange land can be very relaxing!)


the things... (like my grandmother's flowers from this spring)


the moments...(like my daughter telling me all about Ben, her crush, who is nearly three years older!)


The camera also can help tell a story. It can give a voice to the voiceless. Curious about that? Just google Lewis Hine or Dorothea Lange. Without them, we may still have Child Labor, horrid working conditions, and tent cities full of people leaving the Dust Bowl seeking land they can farm and jobs that will help feed the kids...

Here is a link to one of my FAVORITE short videos about Photography. It makes me smile every time! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUsqS8Ena14

No comments:

Post a Comment