Like Me on Facebook

Saturday, December 20, 2014

Be Still... and Know... During this Christmas Season

Another crazy-busy week. 

If you follow my photography page on Facebook, you know that I'm in the middle of a 30 Day Photo Challenge. It's one of those things that I give myself as an assignment to push myself to be a little more creative. However,  today I stopped. I had to take the day off. This is what I posted instead of a picture. 

Sometimes we get so busy that we forget to take a break. We forget to be still. On Friday I got a great gift from a coworker that I respect (her blog: http://oliveandashstudio.blogspot.com). It was handmade by one of my former students (her blog:http://www.happylarkdesigns.com). I took about 15 minutes off from grading final exams and enjoyed doing a little light painting photo project with it. And it has one of my favorite Bible verses on it: be still.
One of the devotional entries I read this week reminded me to be still, also. I decided to share it here, too.
There's nothing wrong with being busy this time of year. Holiday concerts. Beautiful Christmas decorations. Being able to get gifts from people that you haven't seen in a long time. Or the chance to realize that somebody that sees you every day thanks of you enough to give you a present, also. Those are all great things. So is cooking and shopping and gift wrapping and... (Insert more here!)

But as beautiful as those holiday things can be, they can also be overwhelming. Especially in my case, when I just endured final exams week and the end of almost all of my classes I teach. I have had so much to do at work, and with the holiday go-go-go time, that today I just needed to be still. 

...from what I can tell, all of the messages He has sent recently have told me that I should! So, today I didn't leave the house, I didn't fight off shoppers for some last-minute gift, and I didn't participate in the photo challenge. That's okay. I was able to drink some coffee and burn a few DVDs for work and really get caught up on laundry. I've also watched movies with my daughter. Oh, and most of the day I stayed in my pajamas. There is no shame in that. 

So the next time you feel that you need to be still, do it...without apology :) 

Look at paint samples, take some cheesy online personality quiz, and maybe have a chocolate while sipping something decadent. It's more than ok. Don't let society or the world tell you it's not. 

future basement paint color to hide that green the former owner did
cheesy online personality quiz! lol 
Until next time, 
Michelle with MK Designs. 
PS I am leaving you with one of my favorite images I have created lately. All in camera. Just gotta know how to use it! (NO PHOTOSHOP!)

No comments:

Post a Comment