Like Me on Facebook

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Summer 2014 Blogger Challenge #2: Dreams + Goals


And now, it's time for "Dreams + Goals" in the Blog Challenge 

(Yes, Emily Jane, I just renamed it! lol)

In my humble opinion, dreams and goals go hand-in-hand. In fact, most of my dreams I have been able to make reality (except lunch with Jimmy Buffett and a fun little date with Dave Grohl).


I dreamt of teaching... and combining my love of photography with it. Now I teach photography pretty much all school day. I still have a great passion for teaching television journalism and still am able to do that. That dream came true and continues because of the goals I set for myself and my students. 

I hate hearing people say "if only" or "I wish" - especially for basic things. If you wish you could paint, then take that painting class. If you dream of seeing the ocean, set goals to make it happen. Yes, I think learning new skillsets and seeing new places is "basic" - anyone can make those things happen. I am living proof! 

No need to get in a rut of self-loathing that defeats any chances of making your dreams reality - or making choices that sabotage your dreams. 



Isn't Mark Twain brilliant? I think so, and he's from Missouri so BONUS! This saying by him is a bit of a "motto" for my life. 

Yes, I have dreams and goals that I keep working on that are a bit personal to share on the blog and involve hopes for my daughter... but some... I feel perfectly fine sharing with anyone and everyone! 

I have this dream (and I am setting goals) to travel and really see my own country. I am making steps yearly with this process of getting to really know the lower 48 ;-) WHY? I am always shocked by how many people claim to love 'Merica but haven't even left their own state. Our country is beautiful, vast, diverse, and has some of the most treasured landscapes in the world. I really believe that! 

Nevada Skies! So lovely! Yes, I took this photo! ;-) 

Every summer I find new spots to explore when I am on summer vacation, and some places become "repeat offenders" because I just can't get enough of them. 

I am open and willing to let people give me tips on their favorite spots, too. Thanks to two co-workers Kelly Richard and Ryan Snider, I "discovered" and fell in love with the Shawnee National Forest and vicinity of Southern Illinois. Yes, there's more to that state than Chicago! 

Shawnee National Forest - I have sold several prints of this image,
have had it used by the National Forest Foundation, and  have
been juried into several art shows... crazy thing? There was a lake to
my back that I was originally there to photograph, but it was the
light through the trees that ended up stealing the show! Let me
know if you would like a copy of this... Looks great as a metal
print, full size on paper, or in a square like above. 

The thing is, I feel like to really REALLY explore my country better.... I need about 30 days in my Ford Escape with a teardrop. I love to camp in a tent, too - but a teardrop (remember, these are my goals and dreams!) would help with the elements and any critters that roar or bite that may want to hang out with me.




I have priced teardrops and can feasably afford one now, but am waiting - Yes, I am putting the "dream" off because ideally I would have company on my 20 to 40 day rambles around America in the summer - and right now that isn't possible because of the way my daughter's father and I split custody during the summer months... 

...but I am already prepping her for the fact that in about 11 years or less when she's 18 - 20 and I am in my early 50's, she's got plans. 

So far, at age 9, she seems slightly excited about the big roadtrip(s) I want to take with her... and in time I know that may not work because hearts change, so I am more than prepared to do it on my own if need be. 

I can do "solo" if I have to. How am I sure of this? Well, if I can camp up to 14 days at time in a tent I take down and put up, I think I can do this for double the time (or more). 

My dreams and goals for a nomadic travel adventure are only fueled by this blogger, photographer, writer, adventurer... The Blonde Coyote: http://theblondecoyote.com Reading her blog only adds fuel to the dream that started long before a friend said I needed to check her blog out. 

What are your dreams and goals? What goals are you setting to make your dreams come true? Feel free to comment or share with me! And if you want to take part in the blog challenge, join me! Let's link up! 

MK Designs Photography / Fine Art and Portrait 2014. (Most images and all words by me!) 


2 comments:

  1. That's what I need if I ever start traveling- a camper. So I can be at home, while I'm traveling. My dream/goal- a vintage airstream that I can fix up myself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love airstreams! I have actually looked at & toured them ;) I am a camping nerd in some ways. Thanks for reading Juli!

      Delete